Burning Horizon's Homestar Runner Fan-Forum
"...for good, or for awesome..."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home Chat Help Search Login Register
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum Headphones

+  Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum
|-+  Historic Over There
| |-+  Nerdular Nerdance
| | |-+  Headphones
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 3448 times)
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee
Medallion Gold Plus Member

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

Headphones
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:11:06 am »

Okay guys, I'm in desperate need of some headphones. And some good, dependable ones.

Situation: Today marked the death of my 9th pair of headphones since last September.

-My two year old, $200, "Can't find a link for" Noise Cancellation pair that started off this awful chain of events.
-My phone's earbuds/headset, which hastened my purchase of an iPod.
-3 (yes 3) pairs of Sony MDR-NC6, which was under warranty until a few days after I returned the third pair (so at least they were free).
-A crappy pair of Koss UR40's that I bought merely for the lifetime warranty (lifetime warranty in Saskatchewan is, by law, lifetime).
-Two iPod pairs that I happened to have lying around.
-Another pair that stopped working so quickly, that I sometimes forget I even had them.

Needless to say, I am beyond miffed by this. Considering I bought those $200 ones to last me for a lot longer than 2 years and my string of crap to follow, I either am horrible at picking out headphones or have the worst luck in the world with the things. Regardless, I'm going to need your help with this. Any suggestions will be appreciated, but a few stipulations, please.

-Having 20% hearing loss, earbuds are the worst thing I could be using. I only used my phone and iPod earbuds out of necessity.
-I prefer a full size set of earphones, ones that can sit comfortably around the head in use and the neck otherwise. See my Sony and Koss pairs.
-Noise Cancellation is something that would be nice, but not necessary now that I am living in a (fairly) quieter environment.
-Please, something WITH WARRANTY. In case something happens and they become the 10th casualty.
- Price... I would like something in the sub $100 Canadian ($80 US) range unless they are honest-to-goodness the god of all headphone kind.
-No Koss. As stated before, only bought those for the lifetime warranty so I can suck those suckers dry.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

As a sidenote, my Koss headphones I just shipped off back to the company today and intend to keep them as replacement headphones if I ever need a pair (and following my bad string of luck, I think I do).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:12:02 am by Alexisonfire » Logged

"Mr. Bones Says The Ride Never Ends."
[Exeunt, Pursued By Bear]
tape-leg
the digiman
Celebrity Pharmacist

Alright!

Re: Headphones
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:39:52 pm »

I've had Sennheiser HD-555s since Christmas and I love them. I know someone who has had a pair for about a year and his still work. They're comfortable, sound excellent, and while not made with portability in mind, I carry them in my backpack for use on the bus.

I've never used noise canceling headphones.  They definitely would be good for bus rides, where the noise has started to make listening to music less enjoyable.  And it would prevent me from having to turn it up so loud on the bus.
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:35:58 pm »

The whole reason I had noise cancellation headphones was due to my hearing loss and my environment. When I lived at home, my computer was placed in the middle of the house and I would have to pump the volume up fairly loudly to actually be able to listen to them. Same situation in the car. Thus started my loss of hearing.

The pair I had worked wonders (until they broke) in that situation, but I live in dorms now which, well, is fairly quiet comparatively. And when it is noisy, no amount of noise cancellation will matter. Tongue

But yes, for bus rides and all that, they would be a great help.

I looked up the HD-555s on some Canadian sites and Future Shop was the only one who had them. Annnddd Ouch. Maybe I'll have better luck in person.

Other options would be appreciated. Even if they're just a company you really like.

JackisNimble
CGNU Graduate

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:32:43 pm »

Well, I got a heck of a deal on a pair of Ultimate Ear Super.fi 5 headphones ($200 clearanced to $50) that have lasted me 2 years thus far and still are like new. However, I doubt you would be able to find a pair of them that cheap, but the Super.fi 3 series is in your price range:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Super-fi-Studio-Earphones-Black/dp/B000B5XU06/

They're basically the same design as the Super.fi 5's, except the Super.fi 3's only have one speaker per headphone, instead of the dual speakers. The noise cancellation on them is amazing (I mow my grass while listening with them and can't even hear the tractor) and since they are canalbuds you should have no problem hearing. The other nice thing is the way the wires are set up. The wiring disconnects from the base of each headphone so you can actually replace the wire if it gets a short (which is the reason why 90% of headphones fail). They also come with a nice metal carrying case, multiple tip sizes for different sized ears, and a few other goodies.
Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God

Ye not guilty

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 06:23:48 am »

-Having 20% hearing loss, earbuds are the worst thing I could be using. I only used my phone and iPod earbuds out of necessity.
-I prefer a full size set of earphones, ones that can sit comfortably around the head in use and the neck otherwise. See my Sony and Koss pairs.

We have come to terms
JackisNimble
CGNU Graduate

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 02:14:11 pm »

1. Canalbuds are much different than ear buds.
2. The design of UE canalbuds are extremely comfortable, much more than any full size headphones.
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:36:36 pm »

Headphones purchased. Upon recommendation from my brother to try the brand, I went with the Skullcandy SC-Hesh (Black and Green). Literally just put them on, but they seem to be of great quality, quite durable, and have some kickmass bass. Quite tight on the head, but all 'phones are like that when they are brand new. Hoping their worth the $60.

So... I guess this thread will function as a discussion on these wonderful devices (I suck at picking them, but love them all the same). I thank you TAPE-LEG and Jack for the suggestions. And stink for being (a) stink. That being said...

Canalbuds are different than earbuds, that is true, but I have never found them to be all that comfortable to use. I don't know. I have tried all styles and flavours, but ones that actually are a single piece headset just seem more natural to me. I don't have to worry about having one ear fall off/out. I don't have to worry about where to put them when I'm not using them, as they fit neatly around your neck. And they just seem way more durable to me.

But that's just me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:36:28 pm by Alexisonfire » Logged

Ground Man
The Grim Reaper
The Sturge

robots drinking water

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:27:56 pm »

I thank you Lufis and Jack for the suggestions.

Uh, hang on, I did something?

Oh, I mean, yes, I did something! It wasn't tape-leg at all!  Evil Grin

HISSATSU! MATEROYO...!
ITTEIYO!! FULL THROTTLE!
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 01:36:50 pm »

You were there for moral support Lufis.

tape-leg
the digiman
Celebrity Pharmacist

Alright!

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 04:42:42 pm »

Well, you at least managed to pick someone with the same birthday.  (Lufis and I have the same birthday.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Back to Strong Bad Email Secrets
All "Homestar Runner" content 1933-20X6 homestarrunner.com
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.