Burning Horizon's Homestar Runner Fan-Forum
"...for good, or for awesome..."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home Chat Help Search Login Register
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum Web Hosting

+  Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum
|-+  Historic Over There
| |-+  Nerdular Nerdance
| | |-+  Web Hosting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Web Hosting  (Read 3290 times)
potthole
Administrator

I'm a hottie!

Web Hosting
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:07:51 pm »

My friend and I need a host for a messageboard.  We need it to be cheap, able to handle a fair amount of traffic (over 4000 members on the board), and we need it to be reliable.

So, who has anybody they'd recommend?

`..`..`..`..`..`..`. ><(((>
0!
Guardianjmt
Guardian of the Galaxy
Medallion Gold Plus Member

We're the Guardians of the Galaxy

Re: Web Hosting
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:21:03 pm »

Before you know it, I'll always look the same, and Alexisonfire will be American
JackisNimble
CGNU Graduate

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 09:21:07 pm »

http://www.bihira.com/wordpress/

From personal experience, they rock. They have built in installers for message boards, which makes the process easy as cake.
potthole
Administrator

I'm a hottie!

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:51:23 pm »

http://www.bihira.com/wordpress/

From personal experience, they rock. They have built in installers for message boards, which makes the process easy as cake.

I'm guessing those prices are monthly costs?  I'll have to pass this info along to my buddy.

We've got the domain purchased, have the money for the forum software, and are now just needing to find a host.

0!
JackisNimble
CGNU Graduate

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:56:50 pm »

I'm guessing those prices are monthly costs?  I'll have to pass this info along to my buddy.

We've got the domain purchased, have the money for the forum software, and are now just needing to find a host.

Yes, those are the monthly costs. Also, money for forum software? There is no charge through Bihira. You just go into the CPanel and install it.
potthole
Administrator

I'm a hottie!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 08:44:58 pm »

Yes, those are the monthly costs. Also, money for forum software? There is no charge through Bihira. You just go into the CPanel and install it.

Yeah, but we have a specific forum software that we want to use, so I'd assume we'd need to purchase it, wouldn't we?

0!
JackisNimble
CGNU Graduate

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:40:24 pm »

Yeah, but we have a specific forum software that we want to use, so I'd assume we'd need to purchase it, wouldn't we?

Depends on the software. From what my memory serves, Bihira comes with the phpBB(Very popular forum software) and SMF(What this forum uses) packages. Both of them are free of charge. There are many, many forum software packages that are free of charge that you can install too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:41:12 pm by JackisNimble » Logged
potthole
Administrator

I'm a hottie!

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 04:54:15 pm »

Depends on the software. From what my memory serves, Bihira comes with the phpBB(Very popular forum software) and SMF(What this forum uses) packages. Both of them are free of charge. There are many, many forum software packages that are free of charge that you can install too.

Humm... I think we're looking to use vBulletin.  Any idea of that's one of the free packages?  I tried poking around on the Bihira site for a list, but wasn't really able to turn much up.

0!
JackisNimble
CGNU Graduate

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 06:43:39 pm »

vBulletin isn't free, unfortunately. There are two options for it and which one you choose depends on how long you want to use the forum. There is the yearly license + updates, which is $85 a year. Then there is the lifetime license which is $160, but yearly updates are $30 a year. So if you plan to use the forum for 3+ years, then go with the lifetime license.
potthole
Administrator

I'm a hottie!

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:15:08 am »

vBulletin isn't free, unfortunately. There are two options for it and which one you choose depends on how long you want to use the forum. There is the yearly license + updates, which is $85 a year. Then there is the lifetime license which is $160, but yearly updates are $30 a year. So if you plan to use the forum for 3+ years, then go with the lifetime license.

The lifetime liscense is what we're got the money set aside for.

Thanks for the input on hosting, hopefully we'll make a decision soon.  We're pretty much waiting to see if we can get it for free, though some contacts my friend and I have.  If we can't, then we'll be pulling the trigger on one of the handful of other (pay) options we've found.

0!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Back to Strong Bad Email Secrets
All "Homestar Runner" content 1933-20X6 homestarrunner.com
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.