Burning Horizon's Homestar Runner Fan-Forum
"...for good, or for awesome..."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home Chat Help Search Login Register
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum PAX

+  Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum
|-+  Historic Over There
| |-+  Videro Games
| | |-+  PAX
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PAX  (Read 32444 times)
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee
Medallion Gold Plus Member

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

PAX
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:01:31 pm »

I know what you're thinking: Monsieur Alexisonfire, quel est le Penny Arcade Expo? Well, Timmy, the Penny Arcade Expo started as a celebration of the fanbase of the Penny Arcade webcomic, but has now grown into the largest video game expo in North America. But it is much more than that. While the central focus is still video games, it is has expanded into a celebration of all things identifiable to those of the nerd and geek clans. A Mecca, if you will, for all of nerd and geek kind. ludicrous

Well, I won't get into much into the minor details (That's what this site is for), but I will say that I have been wanting to go to this convention pretty much since it's conception. The thing that makes this one appealing over all the other conventions, like Comic-con, is that this is geared toward gamers. Like me. *happy grin and thumbs up, possible sparklies coming off of teeth*. And this year I shall finally be able to attend.

So I wonder, fellow BHZ-ers, what is your stance on the PAX? You going? Hoping to go? Wishing to go, but can't? Hate the very thought of it? Stumbled into the wrong thread (CGN is right here)? What?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:45:42 pm by Alexisonfire » Logged

"Mr. Bones Says The Ride Never Ends."
[Exeunt, Pursued By Bear]
Little Sampson
The Burninator

I want to buy your money with some drugs

Re: PAX
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:52:45 am »

If I could only go to one video game event thing in my life, it would be PAX. No doubt.

But I'm not going to any video game event things anytime soon.

Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God

Ye not guilty

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 03:11:59 pm »

Money is what keeps me from going to this. If I had a job and some friends, I'd like to round them up and take a vacation.

P.S. Maybe our latest member will come with me. He seems like he would like this kind of thing.

We have come to terms
Snakewater
Snakewater
Super Great Poster

A new year, a new Emma Watson picture.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:13:26 pm »

I have both a job and some friends, but it's way too far away from Indiana.

It would be absolutely amazing to go though.

<a href="http://mugglenet.com/hbpcountdown/hbpfilmcount.swf" target="_blank">http://mugglenet.com/hbpcountdown/hbpfilmcount.swf</a>

Unsurprisingly, Canada has run out of "u"s, and must now ration them off at one per post to make it through this bleak linguistic time.

- Teatime
ET
Winner: Member Survivor: BHZ Edition
Totally Awexome Member

So zetta slow!

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 05:58:03 pm »

Meh, gaming conventions.  It's something I'll probably try to do once in my life, but I do not get overly excited about the thought of attending one.

Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:44:10 pm »

So the calls to the Omeganauts went out today. For those not in the know, the Omegathon is the 3 day competition covering all aspects of gaming, from Rock Band to Quake to Geometry Wars to good old Jenga. After several grueling rounds, the competition ends in a final, surprise round on stage in front of tens of thousands of people, which also sounds off the whole PAX experience. And they're not just doing this for glory. Oh no. The prizes can be called nothing other than amazing. One year, the prize was every single NES game ever made. Last year, it was a trip to Tokyo Game Show and $5000 spending money.

So anyway. Everyone who goes to PAX dreams to be in the competition. Even if they do lose in the first round.

So as I should be sitting in anxiety for the phone call, I am instead in a rage at my sister's inability to get off the phone.

I know the chances were small, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I can't shake the feeling that I missed my chance.

Guardianjmt
Guardian of the Galaxy

We're the Guardians of the Galaxy

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:37:30 pm »

Funny how I never saw this thread until today.

And, wouldn't E3 be the biggest?

Before you know it, I'll always look the same, and Alexisonfire will be American
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:52:49 pm »

In terms of both area and population, PAX beats E3 easily. Especially since E3 has been downsized.

In terms of industry importance and attendance by game companies, E3 is still king though. But PAX is much more than showing off hot, new games being released in the year(s) to come. PAX is a celebration of gaming in general.

Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God

Ye not guilty

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:38:51 pm »

* Round 1: Mario Kart Wii
* Round 2: Bookworm Adventures
* Round 3: Halo 3: ODST
* Round 4: Unnamed rhythm game (DJ Hero or The Beatles: Rock Band, perhaps?)
* Round 5: Connect Four
* Final Round: ?????

Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!!

This was my year!
Connect Four is my calling!!!

We have come to terms
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 06:13:22 pm »

Schedule Time.

Can't believe I have to miss Bonus Round Live, the PAX keynote, the "Post-N'Gai, Post-EGM Video Game Journalism, or Where Do We Go Now " panel, the " Breaking into the Game Industry the Educated Way", the Penny Arcade Q&A, the "How can we make online gaming communities suck less?" panel, and the taping of Spike Sneak Peeks (to see Tim Schafer) for the Smash Bros. Tournament. Seriously lame.

The good thing is that there is no possible way that I will be missing the MC Frontalot, Metroid Metal, and Anamanaguchi concert that night. My God. I won't even have to go to the other concert. Those are the best three performances right there.

Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 04:02:46 pm »

20 minutes before I leave for the airport.

My god, this weekend will be amazing.

Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 03:07:20 am »

My god, this weekend will be amazing.
Well predicted past self. Well predicted.

Epic weekend overall. Stories, Adventures, and Impressions to come.

Little Sampson
The Burninator

I want to buy your money with some drugs

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 11:13:50 am »

Kohler, Shane, and Nich were on the Retronauts panel?

Hot damn.

Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God

Ye not guilty

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 11:16:05 pm »

Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!! Are You Asking For A CHALLENGE!!!!

SKEE-BALL?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

MY $#%*)!@#%&*(_!ING YEAR!
I routinely win skee-ball jackpots at arcades and the like! SO MUCH OF THE ANGER.

We have come to terms
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:21:02 pm »

Kohler, Shane, and Nich were on the Retronauts panel?
SKEE-BALL?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!
Yes. They were both quite epic.

The weekend was off the hook, as they say. There was so much to see, so much to do, so much to play, and so much schwag to be picked up. Each day was focused on a different aspect of the experience. Friday was the absorbing of the general confusion and chaos that is PAX, along with participating in the Smash Bros. Tournie (Top 128, baby! The guy who beat me won our bracket, thus being in the top 16, and saying that I was the best kirby that he ever played, which was reassuring), seeing a freaking AMAZING concert, and schwag hunting. Saturday was playing a lot of demos, buying a lot of crap (awesome crap though!), console freeplay, pc freeplay, and schwag hunting. Sunday was about attending talks and events and schwag hunting.

Yes, I did a lot of schwag hunting this weekend. Ended up with 2 copies of Lord Of The Rings Online, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story toque, SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3 t-shirt, Hello Kitty Online disc, Darkest of Days t-shirt, two mouse pads, Brutal Legend stickers and patch, 3 packs of Magic cards, 4 God of War 3 lanyards, a Wet poster, Time Crisis 4 t shirt, a signed Red Steel 2 poster, a Muramasa: The Demon Blade bag, a Brink Shirt, 2 Uncharted 2 lanyards, 2 Uncharted 2 t-shirts, a dozen League of Legend beta keys, a Rogue Warrior poster (what the heck is Rogue Warrior?), a million beta keys for games I have not heard before, a WB games t-shirt, a splatterhouse T-shirt, 48 hours of XBOX Live (going to The Sneak as soon as he gets me that VC game), a whole bunch of buttons (including ones of SBCG4AP, Sam & Max, Monkey Island, and TMNT), a Metroid Prime Trilogy t-shirt, two God of War 3 posters, an inflatable Dragon Age: Origins sword, a Warhammer Online poster, a copy of City of Heroes, two different Mega 64 posters (one of them signed by the crew), A Lode Runner T-shirt, a Wet t-shirt, a demo UMD of Monster Hunter, a Splosionman poster, a Beaterator shirt (man, I feel dirty every time I say that game's name), a stack of Beatles Rock Band stickers, a Tekken 6 poster, a Namco shirt, a disc with several Aeria Games games including SMT:Imagine, and a small strand of No More Heroes 2 toilet paper that I took from one of the bathrooms.

But my favourite piece of swag is the Guild Wars 2 art book, which is absolutely fantastic. It is a hardcover, professionally made artbook that you would buy from a store for like $40-$50. It is also signed. The art in this book is also breath taking.

Not everything I brought back with me was schwag though. I did buy stuff. I bought two things from Pink Godzilla Gorilla: A small Disgaea 2 figurine, which unfortunately was a blind box that gave me the worst possible one (the Archer. I wanted Etna Cry ), and a Sora figurine (for my sister, the rabid Kingdom Hearts fan that she is). I also picked up an 8-bit Megaman shirt from the Capcom booth, but missed my chance to pick up God Hand for my cousin. I also picked up a PAX 2009 T-shirt (a staple for the experience) and a "I'd Tap That" Shirt from the Penny Arcade booth. I also snagged up the last Captain figurine (from Tankmen) and one of the last XL Newgrounds shirts from The Behemoth store. And since the concert was so utterly amazing, I felt obligated to buy an Anamanaguchi CD and Metroid Metal T-shirt.

But although the schwag and the awesome purchases made the weekend a worthwhile trip, they by no means were what made the experience what it was. The concerts, the Omegathon final, the console playing, the people, the cosplay, the booths, the games and even the atmosphere of the place helped make the weekend one of the best in my life. As for the demos, I'll try to post some impressions of the games I did play later. Sorry, I did not get to play Diablo 3, Scribblenauts, Left 4 Dead 2, or Borderlands. They were all really, really long lines.

Also, I am forever immortalized as the guy who loves to give high fives to people during the amazingly huge lines.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:54:33 pm by Alexisonfire » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Back to Strong Bad Email Secrets
All "Homestar Runner" content 1933-20X6 homestarrunner.com
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.