Burning Horizon's Homestar Runner Fan-Forum
"...for good, or for awesome..."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home Chat Help Search Login Register
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum iTunes song clipping?

+  Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum
|-+  Historic Over There
| |-+  Nerdular Nerdance
| | |-+  iTunes song clipping?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: iTunes song clipping?  (Read 1906 times)
Bonkava!
Tony Tony Bologna
Medallion Gold Plus Member

In the process of rebranding myself.

iTunes song clipping?
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:23:56 am »

A'ight, here's the dizzy. I'm an important man. Important men need to take clips from songs from not-the-beginning and use them in Flash, for example. Important men also need to convert standard iTunes AAC files to MP3 files as M4A files are unusable by some applications. Last but not least, important men can't stand hearing five minutes of silence between a weak closer and the best track on an album, or in some cases a great closer and about thirteen seconds of noodling.

Before iTunes 9, I could fix this. For the first task, I'd set a start and end time in "get info" and click "convert to (whatever file type I needed)". For the second, I'd skip the first step and just convert to whatever file type I needed. For the third, I'd set an end time at the end of the first song, "convert" (because often times I wouldn't actually change the file type), then reset that and add a start time at the beginning of the second song and "convert" that as well.

However, with iTunes 9, the convert button seems to be gone.

There are programs that I've found to convert m4as to mp3s and they work fine. I could also simply use Audacity + Stereo Mix to get clips. But the separation of hidden tracks is bound to be aggravating.

Is there still an easy way to do this?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:28:35 am by Bonkava! » Logged

Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God

Ye not guilty

Re: iTunes song clipping?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:53:28 pm »

I imagine you're using a windows, and assume the problem is unsolved. Here's the instructions for mac iTunes, maybe there's equivalent steps for windows

Choose iTunes > Preferences, click General, and then click Import Settings.

In the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the format you want to convert songs to, and then click OK to save the settings.

Select one or more songs in your library and choose Advanced > Create [Format] Version.

Basically, find Import Settings, and then find the Create [Format] option.

Sorry it took so long to answer, I figured somebody would come along who actually knew what they were doing. Hope this works.

P.S. I guess I can't help with the last issue, it sounds like you want to edit the song without taking it out of iTunes(I think?), and I have no idea how to go about that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:55:43 pm by FistSim: 2 » Logged

We have come to terms
Bonkava!
Tony Tony Bologna

In the process of rebranding myself.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:15:25 pm »

No, I know how to do it already. Thanks, though, for telling me where they moved the convert button. Why they moved it I have no idea.

And for future reference for all those other tech-savvy-enough-to-care-but-not-tech-savvy-enough-to-not-use-iTunes, here's how to crop songs (like take clips, or edit away hidden tracks).

Right click (or ctrl+click if you're on a mac) on the song and click "get info". Click the "options" tab. There you will find a box labeled "start time" and one labeled "stop time." If these are anything other than the defaults, iTunes will pay attention to that when creating [format] versions of a song.

Take the Fury of the Aquabats! for example. The final track is nestled behind four minutes of silence on it's own little track, so it's an easy example. You find the timestamp that the song starts at, right click the track, hit options, and set the start time to that time stamp. Then you (ugh) go to Advanced and then click Create [Format] Version and it will pop out with an extra copy of the song sans silence. Delete the original and voila you now can listen to The Fury of the Aquabats! without a gap between Theme Song and the rerecord of Playdough.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:21:59 pm by Bonkava! » Logged

Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:53:10 pm »

Audacity.

Simple. Easy. Free.

"Mr. Bones Says The Ride Never Ends."
[Exeunt, Pursued By Bear]
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Back to Strong Bad Email Secrets
All "Homestar Runner" content 1933-20X6 homestarrunner.com
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.