Burning Horizon's Homestar Runner Fan-Forum
"...for good, or for awesome..."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home Chat Help Search Login Register
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum Who knows about microphones?

+  Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum
|-+  Historic Over There
| |-+  Nerdular Nerdance
| | |-+  Who knows about microphones?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who knows about microphones?  (Read 1732 times)
Bonkava!
Tony Tony Bologna
Medallion Gold Plus Member

In the process of rebranding myself.

Who knows about microphones?
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:13:54 am »

Alright, so here's the deal. As you all know, I'm in a band, and our band is finally not terrible. However, when recording our totally relevant and purposeful raw demos, and even in the past when we recorded our jams, the recordings have sounded... off.

Since the beginning, we'd never been able to get the mixing right. As all of our recordings thus far have been one-track, simultaneous recordings, there has been no way to mix post-production, and so the volume levels would all have to have been set before recording. Somehow, though, my bass always ends up being louder than it should be on the recording and the guitar quieter, and if I turn it farther down, it eventually gets too quiet, to the point where you can barely hear it. There have been good recordings in the past but those have all happened by happenstance and we can't seem to configure them correctly again.

At first I thought it was a mic placement issue, involving the schematic of the room, and the microphone being nearer my amp than the guitarist's. However, the other day, we were both plugged into my amp as it was more powerful and quality wasn't of utmost importance in these protodemo 'map' tracks, so the sounds were coming from the same place. While we were playing, he and I were at the same volume level or I was quieter, sometimes just loud enough that I could hear myself. The mixing worked in the room.

On playback, my bass is louder than the guitar in multiple places that none of the three of us remember having loud bass when we were playing it. Now I'm thinking this is a mic issue.

The mic we are using is I believe the Logitech mic that came bundled with The Beatles Rock Band, but I can't say for certain which Rock Band it came bundled with. Is there a way we can change the input settings in Garageband or something so that it picks up less bass and more treble?

Sorry if what I'm saying is confusing.

Guardianjmt
Guardian of the Galaxy

We're the Guardians of the Galaxy

Re: Who knows about microphones?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »

For one, you should probably get a different mic, because I'm betting that a mic packaged in with Rock Band simply won't cut it. That might help.

As for mixing, I'm not sure, but if you were able to have separate audio tracks for treble and bass, you could easily adjust the volume of both. But using one mic to record both? I doubt any program could separate the two itself perfectly every single time. I would seriously recommend making them separate audio tracks.

Before you know it, I'll always look the same, and Alexisonfire will be American
Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God

Ye not guilty

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:48:40 pm »

Maybe you can scrounge up some extra mics and give each one its own track?

We have come to terms
Bonkava!
Tony Tony Bologna

In the process of rebranding myself.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 04:12:50 pm »

Maybe you can scrounge up some extra mics and give each one its own track?

I think we figured out that we don't know how to use two mics together in GarageBand.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Back to Strong Bad Email Secrets
All "Homestar Runner" content 1933-20X6 homestarrunner.com
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.