Burning Horizon's Homestar Runner Fan-Forum
"...for good, or for awesome..."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home Chat Help Search Login Register
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum « Fighting Games »

+  Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum
|-+  Historic Over There
| |-+  Videro Games
| | |-+  Fighting Games
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fighting Games  (Read 26203 times)
Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God
Medallion Gold Plus Member

Ye not guilty

Fighting Games
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:24:49 pm »

Somebody kept bugging me to make this thread so here it is.

Welcome to fighting games, the single most maligned, snubbed, and mistreated genre of video game.

As a general rule, fighting games are too hard to play, too confusing to watch, and too risky to buy.

I play fighting games for money under the handle of Double A. I never win. Ask me anything.

(Also I'll probably post dumb stuff here, links to tournaments and <BALEETED!>, whatever.)

Okay thanks to Perfidious Sinn AKA Sonic Redfield I've got a list of Important Fighting Game Livestreams for you.

8WAYRUN
Salty Battles on Mondays (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Persona 4 Arena)
The Break on Tuesdays (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2).
Streams archived at http://www.youtube.com/user/Jaxelrod/featured

Team Sp00ky
Streams Big Two on Wednesdays (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Persona 4 Arena).
Streams archived at http://www.youtube.com/user/teamspooky/featured

Level Up Live
Streams Wednesday Night Fights (Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown)
The Runback on Thursday.
Streams archived at http://www.youtube.com/user/levelupseries/featured

IPLAYWINNER
Streams Saturday Night Snapback every other week (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 2012)
Real Honest Sundays every other week (King of Fighters XIII, Capcom vs. SNK 2)
No Mercy Friday (Soul Calibur V, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown)
Streams archived at http://www.youtube.com/user/iplaywinner/featured
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:45:53 pm by Roger Smith » Logged

We have come to terms
Little Sampson
The Burninator

Re: Fighting Games
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:29:27 pm »

Persona 4 Arena 4 lyf
Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God

Ye not guilty

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:35:35 pm »

I went to Season's Beatings in Cleveland, OH and went 3-2 in Persona 4 Arena. I would think I'm good but I know most of these guys are in it for the waifus.

We have come to terms
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 01:56:35 am »

I too play fighting games and I too am terrible at them. I go by my twitter/xbox live handle, Devourer Of Time.

I played Brawl competitively for years. My best showing was Top 64 in a 500+ person tournament in Seattle.

I went to Canada Cup last year. Went 0-2 in SSFIV, but got 3rd in a Catherine side tournament.

I went to Alberta Beat Down 3 this past summer and got 3rd in Skullgirls, Top 12 in Persona 4 Arena and Blazblue, 17th in Brawl , and 1-2 in SSFIV.

I currently play Persona 4 Arena & SSFIV, as well as dabble in Blazblue, Skullgirls, UMvC3, & KoF XIII. I retired from Brawl 2 years ago, despite playing in this past tournament.

I also now host monthly fighting game tournaments at my school. I may or may not have destroyed everyone else there for our first meetup. A bit headache inducing, but I'm hoping something like this will happen:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSS5dEeMX64?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSS5dEeMX64?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

"Mr. Bones Says The Ride Never Ends."
[Exeunt, Pursued By Bear]
Sonicface.jpg

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 04:32:38 am »

This past year I've gone from lurking in fighting game streams on Twitch.tv to attempting to actually play them.

After feeling sorta left out at all the fighting game conversations I had with some of you on Skype, I started watching streams much more often. I've been watching streams since last summer where I watched EVO 2011, and that made me want to get into these games somehow. Most fighting games are pretty terrible with tutorials and actually teaching you how to play the game, so it was pretty intimidating to even find a starting point.

Skullgirls came out earlier this year, and that game has a fantastic tutorial that not only teaches you how to play it, but the basics of every fighting game. So I picked that game up, bought myself an arcade stick and started trying every fighting game I could get my hands on.

Right now I'm writing a series of blogs on these games, basically focused on how much they are helping me get better at the genre in general. So far I've got blogs on Skullgirls, Soul Calibur V, and Persona 4 Arena.

I've been playing Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown recently and hopefully I'll have the blogs for those ready soon enough. Basically I want to try as many of these games as I can to see if one "clicks" for me. My main games right now are Soul Calibur V and Skullgirls, since I play both of them locally with friends pretty often and I'm getting better at them.

I'd love to go to a tournament soon and enter in Skullgirls and/or Soul Calibur V, I just have the problem of living in Ohio where almost no major tournaments happen. But it's something I really want to do, because the feeling of playing against someone sitting next to you is WAY different than playing online.

Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God

Ye not guilty

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:01:53 am »

Added a list of popular, regular events to the OP! Scroll up!

We have come to terms
Roger Smith
Cast in the name of God

Ye not guilty

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 08:52:28 pm »

Hey perf how come you never wrote an article about learning to use a fightstick???

We have come to terms
Sonicface.jpg

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:11:03 pm »

There really was nothing to write. Believe me, I tried! But it was extremely uninteresting. Basically I just used it on a bunch of different types of games until using it got easy.

By the way guys, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown is pretty cool. It has command training. Why isn't command training a basic feature every fighting game comes with?And the soundtrack is excellent. AND it has some really good singleplayer options, like the license training that's half tutorial, half actual fights. It's basically a mission mode with missions like "perform a throw break x amount of times, then win the match". AND you can pay $30 for costumes.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:12:26 pm by Sonic Redfield » Logged

Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:17:01 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZBNdgBJV4k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mZBNdgBJV4k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Sonicface.jpg

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 12:48:30 pm »

I've been playing a lot of Mortal Kombat to see if I could get good at it...and I don't think it's happening. It's a lot of fun and all the single player modes are fantastic. Seriously, there's more content in here than like 90% of games in the genre, and the Story mode is really good. The game itself has a poor tutorial and a few too many frustrating elements in it for my liking, and while I KNOW I'm gonna come back to keep doing Challenge Tower stuff for a long time, I doubt this is a game I'll get really good at.

If you wanna read what I just said but with more words, I've got a blog up about my time with the game.

I also complain about the fighting game community a little bit, and everyone loves reading that!

Sonicface.jpg

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:01 pm »

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus will be out on Xbox Live Arcade on October 24th. Like every other Xbox Live game ever it's 1200 Microsoft Points.

When's it coming out on PSN, you ask? Great question! We'll get back to that one later.
How's it different than the previous title, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core? Another good question!

Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 12:13:22 pm »

Isn't it Accent Core Plus R? Or is R coming out next year and there is no reason to buy Accent Core Plus?

Sonicface.jpg

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »

According to the article I read, the game will be updated later with a balance patch based on Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus R. So you won't have to buy that game separately next year.

All I really know about these games are that the titles are really long and there's a ton of them.

Here's something I DO know: The Atlus Fighting Championships are next month.
http://www.levelup-series.com/levelup-presents-atlus-fighting-championships/

Level|Up Presents – ATLUS Fighting Championships

Level|Up is teaming up with ATLUS and Mad Catz to host a new and exciting event for the fighting game community! Introducing the ‘ATLUS Fighting Championships’, a double header tournament featuring 2 of the hottest fighting game titles: The King of Fighters XIII and Persona 4 Arena!

This November 17, we invite you to a fun-filled event with plenty of competition, hype, and community support at Super Arcade in Walnut, California! There will be amazing prizes courtesy of ATLUS and Mad Catz given away throughout the day for lucky attendees, winners of the event, and viewers at home! Grand prize winners will be awarded unique prizes and crowned king of the ATLUS Fighting Game Championships.

Stream URL:

http://twitch.tv/leveluplive

Schedule:

11/17/2012

Both games will be available throughout the day

The King of Fighters XIII: 2PM – 6PM

Persona 4 Arena: 6:30PM – 10PM

tl;dr:

Go to http://twitch.tv/leveluplive on November 17th. Watch people play The King of Fighters XIII and Persona 4 Arena really well.

Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »

tl;dr No Catherine

;;;;;;;;;;;;;__;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Sonicface.jpg

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 11:02:09 pm »

Who is awake to watch a Persona 4 Arena tournament? I'm not!

http://www.twitch.tv/finestko

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Back to Strong Bad Email Secrets
All "Homestar Runner" content © 1933-20X6 homestarrunner.com
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.