Burning Horizon's Homestar Runner Fan-Forum
"...for good, or for awesome..."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home Chat Help Search Login Register
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum How to use Flash Player in 2021!

+  Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum
|-+  In da Basement
| |-+  So Cool an Animation
| | |-+  How to use Flash Player in 2021!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to use Flash Player in 2021!  (Read 97 times)
HomeStarRunnerTron
Two More Eggs
Super Mod

Two more eggs.

How to use Flash Player in 2021!
« on: January 18, 2021, 03:11:53 am »

Felt like this would be of use to anyone who's ever participated in this sub-forum, AND anyone who wants to access poor old old.homestarrunner.com. This might be the most important thing I ever do here!

The basic instructions for both are as follows:
- Uninstall your Flash Player if the version is after 32.0.0.371.
- Install version 32.0.0.371.
- Install the Pale Moon browser, and use that whenever you want to run Flash content.

PC INSTRUCTIONS:

Everything I know about how to access Flash content on PC comes from this wonderful write-up at Andkon Arcade: http://andkon.com/arcade/faq.php

There are whispers that, sometime soon, Windows 10 will permanently block Flash Player, hardwritten into the OS. If that were to happen, you could always create a virtual machine of an earlier Windows OS in VirtualBox, which is fairly simple!

For now, check your Flash Player version in the Flash Player section of your Preferences. If the version number is greater than 32.0.0.371, completely uninstall Flash Player. (If you're a Flash animator like me, don't worry, it doesn't uninstall anything other than the Flash Player PLUG-IN, not your stand-alone Flash Player.)

The Windows uninstaller can be found here.

Then, download the installer for Flash Player version 32.0.0.371, which I've mirrored here, and run the installer. During the installation process, make sure to check "Never check for updates" to ensure it doesn't automatically update. If you don't do that during the installation process, feel free to set the preferences later by going into the Flash Player section of your Preferences.

Download Pale Moon Browser, which is a kind of off-shoot from Firefox that will always allow Flash content. Whenever you want to access Flash content, use Pale Moon Browser, instead.

If you're doing this on a Windows XP machine (virtual or otherwise), you can also use this XP mod for Pale Moon here.

---

MAC INSTRUCTIONS:

I just tried to replicate the instructions above, but for Mac, and it worked perfectly.

Check your Flash Player version in your System Preferences under the Flash Player section, and if the version number is greater than 32.0.0.371, completely uninstall Flash Player. (If you're a Flash animator like me, don't worry, it doesn't uninstall anything other than the Flash Player PLUG-IN, not your stand-alone Flash Player.)

The uninstaller is already on your Mac, if you had Flash installed. Just open Applications > Utilities > Adobe Flash Player Install Manager, and run the uninstall from there.

Then, download the install for Flash Player version 32.0.0.371, which I've mirrored here, and run the installer. During the installation process, make sure to check "Never check for updates" to ensure it doesn't automatically update. If you don't do that during the installation process, feel free to set the preferences later by going into the Flash Player section of your System Preferences.

Download Pale Moon Browser, which is a kind of off-shoot from Firefox that will always allow Flash content. This is slightly more complicated for Mac users, because Pale Moon Browser is normally not for Mac, but some great people maintain an up-to-date Mac fork on the forums. Download that from here. Whenever you want to access Flash content, use Pale Moon Browser, instead.

---

... And that's about everything! If there happens to be a version of Flash Player 32.0.0.371 (Linux, etc.) that you need that isn't here, you can download this 425MB installer from Wayback Machine that has every version of the player. Also, I'd like to use this time to say that Pale Moon Browser is REALLY classy light-weight browser with great add-ons. It also runs SWFs if you pull them up in their own window, rather than download them. And if you DO download them, it doesn't give you that awful "THIS FILE IS DANGEROUS, DO YOU WANT TO KEEP IT?" warning. Reminds me of how I put Camino onto every computer in 8th Grade to use Writely. Yeah. Remember when Google Docs was called Writely? What was I talking about?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:39:53 pm by HomeStarRunnerTron » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Back to Strong Bad Email Secrets
All "Homestar Runner" content 1933-20X6 homestarrunner.com
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.