Burning Horizon's Homestar Runner Fan-Forum
"...for good, or for awesome..."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home Chat Help Search Login Register
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum World of Warcraft

+  Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum
|-+  Historic Over There
| |-+  Videro Games
| | |-+  World of Warcraft
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 15939 times)
scoobysnacks
Awesome
The Sturge

Whats Ya Gunna Do When Pastamania Runs Wild On You

Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2010, 04:59:46 am »

So I got cata at midnight. So far I logged into my 80 rogue learned azeroth flying then went to vash. Did a couple of quests there but got fed up with all the lag and people there. Then I made a warlock worgen and have been leveling him since. The worgen starting zone is awesome so far.
The Dark One
Custom Title
Medallion Gold Plus Member

I SAY

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2010, 09:26:36 am »

That's pretty much what I'll do.

Signature
bethskye
Ljord of the Fjord
Administrator

There's a bogey on your tail! Use the brakes!

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2010, 12:49:13 pm »

81 on the rogue before I went to sleep for a few hours.  I've been working like crazy this morning, so no further leveling until I'm done with that.

The bigger, the much.
Goombazoid
Mayor of Can Town
Celebrity Pharmacist

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2010, 01:12:31 pm »

some dude got to 85 in under 6 hours lol.

Nothing to see here <_< >_>
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2010, 01:31:06 pm »

How long did it take for Naxx to be cleared on 25 man when WotLK launched? 16 hours?

The news of someone getting level 85 before the game launched in North America doesn't surprise me.

Man, I miss Burning Crusade. Oh how I regret not raiding through my first term of school... After that my amazing guild disbanded, the raids got baby easy and uninteresting, and the game just kind of died for me.

I think I'll probably run through Kara for old times sake when I hit 85.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:49:17 pm by Alexisonfire » Logged

"Mr. Bones Says The Ride Never Ends."
[Exeunt, Pursued By Bear]
Mr. Teatime
Super Mod

You should be nicer to me.

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2010, 03:01:13 pm »

While most other people speed-level, I'm the only "slow-leveller" I know, IE, I try to take as long as I possibly can to hit max level. No heirlooms, no rest bonus, walking instead of running in camps, towns and cities. When the old world updated two weeks ago and everyone made a new alt, I made an Undead Hunter. I've played him every day and he's currently level 20. Everyone else I know who made a character that day is level 60+ by now. I am so proud of this.

I plan on taking my Draenei Mage to Hyjal after I get the expansion later today, wonder how long it'll take me to get him to 85, heheh. I'm mostly looking forward to Deepholm. Of all the new zones, that one looks the most amazing to me.
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2010, 07:14:19 pm »

I have two priorities when I play: Fun and Lore.

Questing and dungeons get me both until I run out of quests and dungeons get boring. After that, the only time I will step into a dungeon is if it will directly allow me to raid better, which is probably the most fun I get out of the game.

bethskye
Ljord of the Fjord
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2010, 01:37:55 pm »

I hit 85 this morning.  It was a bit slower than I expected, but the day job pays for WoW, not the other way around.  It's always a bit sad to level my first toon because I'm in a hurry to get her up and geared for raids.  I do have 2 pre T11 BiS items, so I'm a very small part of the way there.  I'll start grinding normals and then heroics this evening while finishing quests in the Twilight Highlands before I go back to do Hyjal.  Then I get to take my time with alts.  Smiley

The bigger, the much.
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2010, 01:47:54 pm »

I never knew you were so into raiding, Beth. Cheesy

Was that a WotLK thing or were you raiding in BC too?

I never power level my main. I just try to do every single quest I can, reading all the quest text and flavour text along the way. I enter dungeons when I have quests for them, which allows me to go through pretty much all of the leveling instances. I usually end up clearing about 2/3rds of the zones by the time I hit cap.

But it is a relatively short trip for me, because what I do is actually really good for getting experience. And I go kinda crazy when I do it.

bethskye
Ljord of the Fjord
Administrator

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2010, 03:29:55 pm »

I've been raiding since vanilla, actually, though on a borrowed toon until BC. (Long story.) I'm a massive lore nerd. My main has her Loremaster title proudly equipped, and my alts are well on their way to having ones to match. I've got new loremaster of Kalimdor now, and I'll go after EK once the curve for items isn't so big. I level alts for the lore mostly, although having a healer and a tank in addition to my rogue is nice. I'm so excited to play around with archaeology that it hurts.

Back in vanilla we raided 4 nights a week and we got everything down but C'thun (hatehatehatehate) and KT. Managing 40 mans was not at all fun, and I'm thrilled that they're gone. Our group is unusual. We were the first guild on our server at release (go go gold grind!), and we filled it with working professionals and parents. We had 4 people under the age of 18 in the guild, and three of them were 17.

Once BC came out, most of us had lives and jobs and a few babies on the way, so we went casual until Blizzard introduced the BoJ system. Most of us went to the top 2 guilds on our server although we sent a number of our folks to Vis Maior. Frankly, if BoJs hadn't come around I'm probably not still playing. Between that and ZA we were back and doing Bear and Kara runs almost immediately. We ended up clearing Sunwell just after the pre-WotLK patch. Got Mu'ru destroyer of guilds finally a bit before the nerf though.

We cleared WotLK 10s and most hard modes in ICC. We were never able to do Ruby Sanctum because of real life concerns. In WotLK we raided 1 night a week for 10s from 7-midnightish and Sunday afternoon from 3-6 for a partial PUG 25 man. We're all very focused, as the time we spend probably tells you. Limited time raiders have to be. Now that we aren't trying to do 2 raids in two days, we might get a second night on 10 man content, which would be magical.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:31:02 pm by bethskye » Logged

The bigger, the much.
The Dark One
Custom Title

I SAY

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:51 pm »

Still haven't gotten Cataclysm. I might eventually. I'll probably make a Blood Elf Warrior.

Then I might try out the Worgen starter quests.

But first I still have to send a money order of $14.99 to Blizzard due to a credit card chargeback for some unexplained reason. I can't even access my account... ugh.

Signature
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2010, 03:06:07 am »

Raid History.
Yeah, I'm really into the lore. Having played through the three warcraft games multiple times, it hard for me not to be. I think I've looked over most of Wowwiki by now..

Still, I didn't get my Loremaster achievemnt. Outland and Northrend I had every quest done, but I never finished EK and Kalimdor I only made a dent in. I had planned on finishing them  and even in BC I found myself going back and doing a whole bunch of quests in Pre-BC content. But my time ran out and didn't want to keep playing just to get that.

I hit 59 the day BC came out, so I didn't get to raiding any of the pre-BC content. I know that it was fairly tank-and-spank, only about 1/2 of the specs were viable, and the raid size was horribly unmanageable, but I find that there are a lot of encounters that are unique to that content that I never got to experience. Stuff like Onyxia, C'thun, Nefarian, Vaelastrasz, and Twin Emperors. These were the fights that I like in the game. The ones that offer a unique experience.

That's what I loved about BC. Kara had a lot of throw-away bosses, but dodging and weaving through spells against Aran, running away from orbs on Curator, getting sacrificed on Illhoof, and, of course, Prince freaking out and trapping your raid in an impossible situation, but somehow pulling through all made for interesting moments that you'd never forget, even if you ran the instances dozens of times (like me). Gruul had the shatter mechanic and the always interesting mechanic of me, a elemental shaman, tanking Kiggler. Even though these were the base level fights of the expansion, I felt like they offered me an experience that, no matter how many times I ran it, it would never be duplicated. And the fights got better from there. Stuff like Warlock tanking and inner demons on Leotharas, diving underwater and jumping to islands on Lurker, and taking down embers on A'lar. They were experiences that I could only get through WoW and only get it through fighting this one fight.

WotLK had a few of these. But everything, to me, seemed so mundane. Naxx had some cool bosses, but I hit the expansion at a time when a pug could steam roll through 25 man naxx in a few hours. The only two bosses I had fun on were Gluth and Heigan. Heigan was obvious because of its dancing mechanics. Gluth, oddly enough, gave an elemental shaman immense control over the fight due to the earthbind's roots, frostshock's slowing power,  and a good Thunderstorm here and there. While Thaddius had an interesting mechanic, it exposed the weaknesses of a lag-filled mmo environment, something BC bosses rarely did. Malygos had some interesting moments (hoping from bubble to bubble), but like Thaddius, exposed a lot of the weaknesses an online environment poses, especially during the mounted phase. Vault and Obsidian were a bore.

And that's pretty much why I quit. The four introductory raids held no enjoyment for me. I was interested in Yogg-Saron and Ulduar, but I knew it would take me two months of prep to ever get into that place and even see Yoggy. Kinda feel bad about leaving the game, but I just was not enjoying it.

What do you think? Did WotLK, in the end, stand up to BC raiding?

Also, my guild in BC was pretty laid back. We got through the first four bosses of Hyjal and the first three of BT before I quit due to school, which was close to the huge nerf on boss health. My guild told me when I came back to WoW after WotLK came out that the night before WotLK, they got Kil'jaeden down to 1%.

Three. Freaking. Times.

Most of the people never actually got to see him downed. Sad I was one of the top DPS in the guild, so I feel kind of responsible for bailing on them. I kind of really, really regret not continuing raiding with them when I hit university.

bethskye
Ljord of the Fjord
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2010, 09:57:45 am »

The fights pre BC were less tank and spank than you think.  Remember the Naxx is a classic raid, and very few of the AQ or BWL fights were tank and spank.  We treated them that way, but that was because none of us had any clue what we were doing.  Most of the dungeons were tank and spank, but not so much the raids.  The lore in BC never really grabbed me.  Illidan was fascinating of course, but the Legion storyline really isn't that complex.  For raid difficulty, there were a few shining moments in TK and SSC.  Nothing was that hard until then.  Kael's fight was nuts when it launched.  I didn't find BT all that hard except for the reliquary (used to have an insane lag bug that made things awful), and of course the infamous Gorefiend ghost adventure.  I thought that Illidan's fight was more forgiving that most major end content bosses.  Sunwell was hard.  Just hard.  It felt like we wiped endlessly on everything in there.  Brutallus and Felmyst were simple in terms of mechanics but murderous in how exacting they were.  Like Emps in a way.  Twins and Mu'ru took months of time, and Kil'Jaeden was by comparison an easier fight for us at the time.  Hyjal was probably my favorite raid because the tower defense mechanic was a new one to my experiences in WoW.  I remember how hard that fight was in WC3, and it translated really well.

In WotLK it was nice to finally destroy our old nemesis in Naxx, but I was surprised at how simple the 5 mans were.  Halls of Lightening was the only pre-ICC 5 man that gave anyone any trouble, and I went in there on heroic and cleared it within hours of dinging 80.  Malygos's vehicle mechanic wasn't that hard once you figured out a good strategy, and the first real problem you encountered in Ulduar was Ignis with what the tanks had to do.  Sarth wasn't hard unless you were doing 3d.  Then Sarth was really hard.  I appreciated the free badges and awesome trinket, but we didn't do 3d until midway through ToC, so I didn't get to experience it in all it's craziness.  Ulduar had some great fights in it.  Crazy cat lady was a fun on with the fear you into the void zone mechanic, and I was surprised how much I like Mimiron.  When we got Mim down the first time that was the only moment in the xpac other than LK that had us cheering in vent.  ToC should have been a better raid.  It just should have.  The mechanic was really cool.  The idea was there, but the boss difficulty just wasn't.  The lockouts to it exacerbated that.  I'm very fond of ICC because some of the fights in there were just amazing.  Putricide was one of the crazier don't stand in fire fights that I'd experienced.  As a rogue, Deathbringer and Festergut were a blast as I got to top meters on no movement fights.  I thought that Bloodqueen was a really interesting fight.  The bite mechanic made each run a little different since we didn't know what the order was going to be, and Dreamwalker was just plain fun.  Our pally healer is incredible, and having a raid that featured him was great fun.  Lich King fight was appropriately unforgiving for an end expansion boss.

All told, I did prefer Wrath's mechanics, but I missed having to CC things.  AoEing down every trash pack ever made them tedious.  Returning to a world where sap needs to be on my bar again will be nice.

The bigger, the much.
Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2010, 12:22:53 pm »

Do you play Alliance or Horde? If you played Alliance it would explain a lot.

While the Legion and the Lich King have immense lore and background with both the Horde and the Alliance, they tend to be focused on one more than the other. The Outlands are the former homeland of the Orcs, the site of Blood Elf migration, and, of course, the site of the bloodlust of the Old Horde. Outlands's big bad is of course Illidan, a major threat to the Alliance, but he was really the only thing driving the Alliance.

In WotLK, the Lich King threatens all of Azeroth, but he is a monster that was born from the Alliance, not the Horde (yes, yes, Ner'zhul, but I mean the 'recent' fall of Arthas). Everything seemed to be rooted in Allaince history. The Horde is just kind of there. They seek to destroy the Lich King, but don't really have any history with him beyond the attacks right before Northrend. One of the best moments was when the shaky past of the Forsaken became a major role in the Wrath Gate. While it did have a long, subtle quest chain leading up to it that effectively had you helping Putress, but it was over too quick.

What I did like about WotLK was the lore about the Old Gods such as ol' yoggy and pretty much anything having to do with the dragonflights. The quest structure overall was a lot better in giving you this lore, but I still felt kind of distant to the whole thing.

Again, my guild in BC was quite casual, so it made some raids way more difficult than you probably experienced, especially on fights like Vashj and Kael'thas. And yes, Hyjal was a blast. But I doesn't really matter to me if the fight is easy or difficult. As I said before, I enjoy a lot of Kara fights. Not because they were easy (on the contrary, all the bosses dropped like flies), but they were interesting and unique. If I can get a unique experience out of something and its not horribly broken, I'm happy.

Yeah, and you pretty much confirmed what I thought about WotLK raiding. All the early stuff was boring. Only the good stuff came during ICC and Ulduar. *Sigh* 5 mans were way too easy, yes. Even on heroic, you could pretty much keep on running through the trash without any problems.

Also, as an Elemental Shaman, I have no love for AoE or CC. CC prevented me from getting into any heroics in BC and was given to us only when it became pretty much useless. Then AoE was the only thing you did with trash and, well, chain lightning can only do so much. Now we're getting earthquake right as the whole trash mechanics change again. My guess is with Cataclysm will require you to effectively only use DoTs on trash. Just to mess with us.

Mr. Teatime
Super Mod

You should be nicer to me.

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »

My raiding experience is all of Zul'Gurub, the first boss of Molten Core, and the first few bosses of Naxxramas in Wrath.

I do actually enjoy seeing the raids and experiencing the end-game content at least once, hence why my guild and I do a lot of in character old world raiding, though I imagine the experience isn't quite the same as doing it when it's the appropriate difficulty level. I just don't like the repetition of end-game PvE. I generally do each dungeon once when I hit max level, and then only ever do them again if four people in my guild/that I know and like need one last DPS. I just don't see the appeal in repeatedly grinding the same content, or constantly throwing ourselves at the same bosses over and over again for weeks as we try to progress through a raid. Kind of makes things awkward when I talk to other WoW players, too. "Oh, you play WoW? Cool, what's your guilds raid progression?" "Uhhhh...well, uhm...we recently, uh, defeated a re-animated Shade of C'Thun that two of our former-members resurrected after defecting into the Twilight Cult...?" "What?"

I do agree that the lore of some of these places is really fascinating. I'd really love to see Ulduar once a bunch of us are 85, as I find the Old God/Titans storyline to be perhaps the most fascinating aspect of WoW. I'm really looking forward to see how it unfolds as we meet more of the Old Gods that have been behind crucial events.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:37:42 pm by Mr. Teatime » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Back to Strong Bad Email Secrets
All "Homestar Runner" content 1933-20X6 homestarrunner.com
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.