Burning Horizon's Homestar Runner Fan-Forum
"...for good, or for awesome..."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home Chat Help Search Login Register
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum Top 5

+  Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum
|-+  Historic Over There
| |-+  Videro Games
| | |-+  Top 5
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 5  (Read 51215 times)
Sonicface.jpg
Medallion Gold Plus Member

Re: Top 5
« Reply #375 on: February 06, 2014, 04:56:36 pm »

Finishing up my 2013 Game of the Year list. I had to make some pretty heartbreaking cuts. Like this if you cry every time.

Top 5 Games I Played In 2013 That Aren't On My 2013 Game of The Year List, But I Still Like Them. I Would Have Put Them On There But There Are Only Ten Slots.

5. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Why I Like It: Grant Kirkhope's fantastic soundtrack. The whimsical sense of humor and lighthearted tone. The tough, but never overwhelmingly difficult platforming and smooth difficulty curve.

Why It's Not On My List: It's pretty short for a $15 game. Some of the bosses employed camera trickery that made the game tougher than it should be.

4. Bioshock Infinite
Why I Like It: Beautiful facial animations for the characters. I love the art style. Excellent pacing which had me absolutely begging to know what was going to happen in the end. An ending that's actually poignant and stuck with me despite all that nutso sci-fi stuff that went on.

Why It's Not On My List: Just like Bioshock 1, I did not enjoy the combat. It just never clicked for me. I think it's because I wanted to use more cool Vigors more often but they limit the salts. So I'm shooting these bullet sponge enemies a ton with a small variety of weapons and not having that much fun. There are also a couple boss encounters that were just terrible.

3. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Why I Like It: It's gorgeous. They build characters and tell a good story without speech. The rope-swinging sequence is so much fun. They use the unorthodox mechanics as part of the story in a very powerful way. It made me cry.

Why It's Not On My List: I got a pretty bad glitch that made me restart an entire chapter. The controls never felt 100% natural and in one particular case was actively frustrating.

2. Street Fighter x Tekken Ver. 2013
Why I Like It: As a fighting game newbie, I like how it has a really good Training mode, and individual character tutorials. The difficulty curve was very easy to deal with; you can mash launcher combos early on but are rewarded for learning your team's true combos. I mean REALLY rewarded, if you get a good punish on someone you can just rip up half of their health in one combo which is immensely satisfying. Every character is so different that even changing your team's order requires changing your entire strategy. The roster being so huge kept me coming back to mess around with new characters and teams. I kept thinking of combos while I was asleep/at work to write down, and I would bring them home to try them and they worked most of the time. That was neat. Lili is cute.

Why It's Not On My List: Legally, I can't add it because the game was released in 2012. The online mode lags even under ideal circumstances. You have to use Training Stage because the other stages have too many background graphics that can lag the game. The gem system is way too complicated.

1. Grand Theft Auto V
Why I Like It: The score dynamically changes during missions to fit the action. As a music guy, that's the coolest thing in the world to me. My favorite song is in it. Trevor Phillips is an unforgettable character. Sometimes, it's really funny. The acting is top notch. The visual fidelity is so far beyond every other video game. When you put on flip-flops, you can see them flip and flop on your feet as you walk. I love just driving around looking at stuff. The audio design is also top notch. The heist missions are stellar. It's by far the best Grand Theft Auto game.

Why It's Not On My List: GTA Online is not good. Some of the more political humor feels really forced and obnoxious. There's a lot of boring travel between missions and not enough fast travel options. The shooting feels quite dated. The heist missions have a ton of untapped potential, as the whole system hints at more depth than it actually has.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:13:36 pm by Sonicface.jpg » Logged

Deputy Laser Action
Thomas Pynchon
Celebrity Pharmacist

You have a son and it is me.

« Reply #376 on: February 06, 2014, 07:51:03 pm »

DLA's Top Five Games of 2013

5. Metal Gear Rising
4. Metal Gear Rising
3. Metal Gear Rising
2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
1. Metal Gear Rising

I think I only actually played four video games that came out in 2013.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:33:31 pm by Deputy Laser Action » Logged

And that's that.
Little Sampson
The Burninator

I want to buy your money with some drugs

« Reply #377 on: February 06, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »

Divekick x 5

Runners up:

A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:02:15 pm by Little Sampson » Logged

Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #378 on: February 06, 2014, 11:09:15 pm »

"Mr. Bones Says The Ride Never Ends."
[Exeunt, Pursued By Bear]
Bonkava!
Tony Tony Bologna

In the process of rebranding myself.

« Reply #379 on: February 06, 2014, 11:18:58 pm »

Mil Sampson

Little Sampson
The Burninator

I want to buy your money with some drugs

« Reply #380 on: February 08, 2014, 10:23:06 pm »

oh wait, Etrian Odyssey IV is pretty rad too.

Alexisonfire
They're Back Baybee

RIP Ryan Davis 1979-2013

« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2014, 09:08:59 am »

Hell yeah it is.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3KmcSXVyzzM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3KmcSXVyzzM</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PCZjnuS6ESc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PCZjnuS6ESc</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qAbDWhkGhK0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qAbDWhkGhK0</a>
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:16:50 am by Devourer of Time » Logged

"Mr. Bones Says The Ride Never Ends."
[Exeunt, Pursued By Bear]
Sonicface.jpg

« Reply #382 on: February 12, 2014, 06:57:34 pm »

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:49:42 am by Sonicface.jpg » Logged

HomeStarRunnerTron
Two More Eggs
Super Mod

Two more eggs.

« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2014, 12:54:56 am »

If you'd like to read my very late 2013 Game of the Year list, I just put it up on Giant Bomb.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/blog/my-very-late-2013-game-of-the-year-list/104859/

It don't work, man'g! It don't done did WORK!

Sonicface.jpg

« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2014, 09:48:34 am »

OK, sending my techs to fix it.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Back to Strong Bad Email Secrets
All "Homestar Runner" content 1933-20X6 homestarrunner.com
Burning Horizon's H*R Fan-Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.9.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.